Friday, April 2, 2010

Old Books...

So I found this old book at work and it's been pretty interesting. Understanding the Professional Programmer by Gerald M. Weinberg. Some how I get the feeling it used to be a text book but either way it's the 1982 hard back copy.

I've been reading this book a chapter a day roughly during the work days to get any nuggets of information I can from it. Someone who retired from where I work had made good use of it judging from the book marks.

So far the best thing I found in the book was the Preparation H test for software. It asked a series of questions about programs you may have to maintain. The best question was "Does it give me a pain that only Preparation H can relieve?"

It's safe to say there is gold in them thar old books!

2 comments:

Lori Erickson said...

Ha! That is awesome.

Also, I'm glad to know I'm not the only geek who will voluntarily read textbooks.

Sean said...

The book is actually newer then what I thought it was. For some reason I thought it was like late 60's or early 70's. I guess that's mostly because the co-worker who used to work here talked about punch cards, Cobol, etc.